The Desert Dawg Blawg

All things California desert: Travel, politics, environment, adventure, offbeat experiences, local hotspots, insider's tips, people and commentary about life in Palm Springs, the Coachella Valley and the California desert region.

Click on the Article Header to read the whole story!

Saved From Certain Death, Now They're Models

Posted by Morgan Miles Craft On 6:53 AM
Photographer Frank Bruynbroek captures amazingly regal portraits of four-legged beauties. But you may not see these at the kennel club – all of Bruynbroek’s subjects are rescued from shelters where they would certainly have been euthanized.



“Being a dog photographer is not a profession I chose -- it chose me. Out of the devastation and grief after the loss of my dog Rosalie came a vision to help more than one dog at a time, and I made myself a promise to use my talents to contribute to the welfare of animals. In order to give them a voice I began working on a book of portraits of rescued dogs. The overwhelming feedback of my first exhibit in Los Angeles gave me a new pair of eyes and showed me that it needed to be my main focus. Now it's all I do, and I have a gallery of portraits of rescued dogs located in beautiful Idyllwild.”


“With my art I am trying to create awareness about the unbearable killing in this country of 6 million unwanted pets every year. By buying pets we keep perpetuating the problem. We all need to spay, neuter, and adopt pets. We have to be the change we want to see.”



The desert region is home to a number of humane, no-kill shelters and spay/neuter facilities that need your help. Give a little extra cash or volunteer at these worthy organizations:

The Humane Society of the Desert, Orphan Pet Oasis
17825 North Indian Avenue
North Palm Springs, CA 92258
(760) 329-0203 - Fax (760) 329-7944
Indio Animal Control
45-355 Van Buren Street
Indio, CA 92201
(760) 559-1511
Animal Samaritans, SPCA
72307 Ramon Road
Thousand Palms, CA 92276
(760) 343-3477
Morongo Basin Humane Society
4646 Sun View Road
Joshua Tree, CA 92252
(760)366-3786
The Pet Rescue Center
80-126 Highway 111, Suite 2
Indio, CA 92201
(760) 775-6691

Frank Bruynbroek’s Photography can be seen at 54-425 North Circle Drive in Idyllwild. His rescue dog calendars can be ordered from www.fbsite.com.

1 Response to "Saved From Certain Death, Now They're Models"

  1. Hani Angelos Said,

    Oh, I love, love, love it... I have always had rescue dogs, and have two now, that should be models too. They're my little models and I love them to death. Thank you for posting this.